Research Outline

Athleisure Brands


To identify case studies of three brands that are performing well in the athleisure clothing segment, covering what they are doing well, how they are marketing themselves, and their target audience.

Early Findings

  • The athleisure clothing segment is still in high demand in the United States, fostered by consumers increased drive to improve personal wellness and fitness. In addition, the apparel culture shift in the workplace is projected to increase the adoption of athleisure wear in the nearest future.
  • The US athleisure market was valued at $53.8 billion in 2016. The active bottoms and leggings segment alone accounted for over $1 billion, according to estimates by the NDG Group.
  • According to Retail Drive, women are the major consumers of athleisure clothing in the US.
  • Lululemon is currently the fastest-growing brand in the women's activewear segment and the most successful example of the athleisure movement. In addition to Lululemon, Athleta is regarded as the second-best performing brand in the "athleisure as a lifestyle” space.
  • Fabletics, which began as a digital savvy, pure-play e-commerce retailer in 2013, successfully grew its in-store sales grew by 20 percent in 2018, while generating 300 million in sales — making it a solid performer in the segment.
  • Some of the top-performing independent brands in the athleisure clothing segment include WONE, Glyder, Tasc Performance, Girlfriend Collective, Mika Yoga Wear, and Terez, according to a recent Forbes article.
  • As much as 75 percent of athleisure sales was completed offline in 2018, while the rest 25 percent was performed over the internet.

Summary of Research

In our preliminary hour of research, we discovered that Lulumon and Athleta are the fastest growing brands in the athleisure market, while Nike still maintains the largest market share.